In these pages we'll examine the following:
- The range of early centers of academic learning as institutions that received state and private foundation support.
- The geographic location of these centers
- A study of their curriculum and specialization
- What was the life of a typical student like?
- What evidence do we have of exchange of knowledge between European and non-European universities and between European Christian colleges and Muslim colleges?
After a survey of the location and type of scholarship undertaken between 900 and 1500 CE, we'll form small groups that will explore and report back in a following class session on their findings. You may use a text, map or sample from archives, art, architecture to illustrate and share with the class the specific example of Middle Age University and knowledge that you find.